Monday, December 28, 2009

Time Management

Written by Alexis

As you journey through tweenism, I think one of the most important lesson and skills we develop is time management. Time management is all about finding a happy medium* with your priorities and pleasures. For instance, if you get home from school and you have a lot of homework to do, but you really want to go play soccer with your friends. What do you do? The first thing you have to do is define your priority from your pleasure. Well, in this situation your priority would be your homework and your pleasure would be playing soccer with your friends. The next thing you have to do is find your happy medium between the two- it is just like compromising. It is as simple as telling your friends that you will play when all your homework is done.

Time management will help you not only now, but also in the long run. With your work life, your social life, school life, and home life. This skill is something I, myself have not mastered!

I just resently got The Sims 3 for Christmas- it is awesome- and the first night I played on it from 7pm to 2am. Reguardless this was my first time playing on it, it was still a lot. I mean when I stopped, my eyes were bloodshot! My mom told me that if I wanted to keep this game, I was going to have to still keep my priorities in check. This meant if I want to play, all my homework and chores would have to be taken care of. I understood this... didn't like it, but I understood it!...mom doesn't bluff!

If we as tweens get this skill down at a young age, this could be a skill lead by example with our own children and them applying it to their children from a young age, and them applying it to their.... your great-grandchildren! I mean time management is a skill that most adults do not even have down! And to think we would be one step ahead of the game!

A few tips that helps me:

1. Start with daily list.
2. Set daily goals, and action lists to reach these goals
3. Prioritize-for me it's family first, school second, play time last

It all starts when we decide.

Or in my case it takes a little push from mom.

* happy medium- (n.) a satisfactory comprimise

No comments:

Post a Comment