Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Decade, New Beginnings

Written by Leslie


Taking what we've learned from our past experiences or in some cases letting go of what no longer serves us and moving forward into a hopeful tomorrow is the promising notion of a New Year.

Over this last decade I've focused on being the best mom to Alexis and my career. For me, the beauty of having a child in my early 20's and being a single mom has been that this child has experienced my ups, my downs- me at my best and most definately at my worst. She has evidenced life events with me that most children do not experience until they've reached young adulthood. I've given her the opportunity to learn some very valuable lessons through my own experiences; hopefully giving her a better sense of responsibility for her choices in life and showing her at the end of the day, it's the character demonstrated in these circumstances that is most important.

The last decade has brought many surprises. From building successful businesses yet failing at other business attempts. Falling hard in love to losing love. I've taken chances that most wouldn't dare, yet I've regretedly held myself back at other times. I've healed my relationship completely with my mom-bringing us closer together than ever, yet we unexpectedly lost my younger brother. Lex and I moved to California only to move back to Arizona a few years after. We've been broke to independently wealthy to losing it all. I've made some really great friendships, lost others, and rekindled many that I thought were gone.

This last decade has proven to me that sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down and to never congratulate yourself too much and definately to not self deprecate.

Remain humble and detached to outcomes.
Understanding that true success comes from experiencing failures while learning from both.

....very little surprises me anymore.

I've learned that no matter how certain I can be about what my future holds at times, I must remind myself that there is always a journey in getting there and the specifics are often altered by free-will and choice. This decade has taught me to be more patient with myself, with others and to not resist change. Knowing that embracing change brings opportunity for growth and expansion, the opportunity to explore who I am and to have more of an appreciation of what once was, for the by-product being today.

Uncertain of what the future holds, I'm learning. Learning to let go, learning to appreciate the NOW, knowing that in the big scheme of it all, it's what is guaranteed.

This moment, right now.

Through it all, the one thing that has remained constant is Alexis has always been my number one fan. To believe her when she says that I'm one of the most brave people she knows with "backbone", and that she's proud to call me her mom, gives me hope that taking chances is what life is all about and assuring me I haven't "damaged" her too bad in the process.

The connection with your child is what is most important, regardless of what life deals you.

This I know for certain.

I'm excited for the new year, the new decade and to new beginnings. To giving us a better life, giving back in a BIG way and to letting go and letting GOD.

2010-"Is the year of new beginnings, possibilities and opportunities.

Stay focused, hold the course, remain open and ready to soar". Leslie

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment